Faith in humanity restored…
Last week, I had the opportunity to attend the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Living Progress Challenge Finals, an initiative that seeks to improve the lives of 1 Million people by the year 2020. The event was held at the New Lab in Brooklyn, a stunning re-fabricated ship yard. The historic building was recently completely renovated and now hosts office space for tech start-ups. Not only was the location stunning, the program and content of the event was extremely rich and inspiring.
The LPC Finals’ roots go back to late 2015, when HPE announced that they would be crowdsourcing ideas from the tech community; there was a call for apps, software and programs that would greatly impact people’s lives.
400 ideas turned into 130 proposals and those proposals developed into 10 finalists.
On August 3rd, the impressive finalists pitched their fully-baked ideas to a panel of HPE executives and special guests in front of a live audience.
Below are the ten finalists, their ideas, along with some highlights from their pitches. Four winners were ultimately selected, which are highlighted with a *:
- AgriUp – an app that helps farmers measure weather data and best practices
- CivicCrowd Analytics – solution for crowdsourcing and analyzing civic data
- *MentorME – an app that connect students and mentors in Guadalajara
- Business Disability Forum – software that evaluated enterprise systems for people of all abilities
- *Points of Light – connects volunteers and friends to serve their communities – enabled by machine learning and predictive analytics
- *Pact’s WORTH – software that empowers female entrepreneurs with micro loans and profit sharing
- Samasource – Internet-based employment platform
- Jacaranda Health – “MoBy” app for maternal and neonatal care
- Red Cross’ Ready4Business – disaster relief app for small businesses
- *World Wildlife Fund’s Detect IT: Fish – data analytics to help regulate the global fish trade
To the left is a sneak peek at the Instagram Story that we produced during the event. Next blog post will details the ins-and-outs of Instagram Stories and how you can use this new feature to promote your brand or your cause.